[FAmSCo] Lessons learned from one just left Ambassadors program

Alejandro Pérez alejandro.perez.torres at gmail.com
Fri May 17 16:20:09 UTC 2013

I know we will discus this on the meetings, and this blog post is
causing lot of noise on Brazil list.

To give you a bit of background on the situation.

Sergio join ambassadors on Brazil and got disappointing with the state
of Brazil community, he found 3 or 4 working ambassadors out of 40, he
talk to me and I asking him for help on the brazil track do to the
language barrier, when he started to look at the track there were many
tickets asking for polo ambassadors.
He call for a meeting and 4 or 6 ambassadors shows up, and some of the
ask for the same.

We keep working and with new ambassadors and afew old ones. We started
to work, he was the media wangler and the situation started to improve
we have FLISOL and we send media to all that requested and give them
support as we they needed, we work out fisl.

Fisl is the biggest free software event on Latam and this year we plan a
budget for it, (last year they did a FAD to bring people to FISL, but as
a FAD did not accomplish anything that I know). So I did not wanted to
do that this year, if it is the biggest event on latam we needed Fedora
people there.
So with the help of Itamar we created separated the budget, as many
other years many people wanted to go and Brazil travel can be expensive,
we were thinking that we may end with too many tickets and that decision
will take place depending on there recent work.

Tickets where open and people added their tickets. After reviewing the
tickets and reduce price by getting a hostal instead of a hotel (if we
pay an hotel the budget will be spend on only 2 or 3 people) we were on
budget, to bring all people that ask for it.

Three cases, show up Daniel Bruno ex Famsco with no much activity as
ambassador lately but work as Mentor, he was asking only for room, so it
was not much to think about. Wolnie he is an old ambassador but he is
also a fedora tester and I seem some bug reports on Fedora 19, so he is
contributing to Fedora, but not as ambassador. Sergio did not like that
he was not asking as devel but as ambassador and he was not contributing
as ambassador.
Since I have read this discussion before why we cannot take devel to
events I did not see any reason to object, plus we have the budget.
The other ticket was a new ambassador, it maybe a un proveen ambassador,
but he support his request and once again we are on the budget.
Other tickets were from ambassadors that have been working on the
community in the last year.

There were not debate on who deserve to go or who has the best proposal
because we have the budget to bring all of them.

Sergio did not like it and the other stuff that was bugging him about
the Brazil community so he decide to separate instead of keep working to
change things.

Personally it is sad to me he was a great support, specially since
Brazil as a community has been decreasing he did bring new stamina to
regain new users and ambassadors.

I have talk to him after his post and he say he will be a part from the
community for a moment and that later he will come back, as he is also
overwhelmed with work. Plus there is another new ambassador who probably
will take charge of Brazil and with his help we keep developing the
community there.

Fanny part I was going to propose Sergio as candidate for this new
Fasmco elections.

To mee the issue here is why do we have 45 ambassador on Brazil and only
10 at the most really do ambassadors work. Bazil is a huge country with
many areas to be cover, but it does not make sense to have all this much
ambassadors that are not doing anything to help Fedora.

The log on the meeting can be read must of it on English.
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-latam/2013-05-08/latam.2013-05-08-22.31.log.html
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-latam/2013-05-15/fedora-latam.2013-05-15-23.18.log.html