another DeviceKit backend for Solid

Benjamin K. Stuhl bks24 at cornell.edu
Sat Aug 8 20:00:03 UTC 2009

(resending, since I wasn't subscribed to fedora-kde; my apologies if you get
duplicates...)

Folks,
  I committed another, alternative, DeviceKit-based Solid backend to KDE's
Subversion repository yesterday, in branches/work/alternative-solid-devicekit.
It grew out of some experiments I was doing with writing a Qt-ish libudev
wrapper (you can see the API in solid/backends/udevqt.h). Since it got large
enough to perhaps be useful to other people, and also to convince me that the
general approach would work, I imported it into Subversion from my GitHub
repository. The major difference from Pino and Lukas's work/solid-devicekit
branch is that I also use libudev for enumeration, as well as DeviceKit-*; I
have also made an effort to try to minimize the amount of boilerplate code each
Interface needs (c.f. solid/backends/devicekit/dkdevice.cpp:dbusDeviceCall()
and solid/backends/devicekit/dkinterface.h). Please take a look and comment or
help out, especially if you know DeviceKit or libudev.
  Pino, Lukas: I wasn't particularly trying to rewrite all your code, so I'm
SVN-copying your DeviceKit-disks-based parts from your work/solid-devicekit
branch and modifying them to fit in. I'd be happy if you would like to
contribute, but if you like your original design better and want to keep
working on it, I understand that too. One question: the code I wrote is
LGPLv2+, while your code is LGPLv2-only. If you do like my branch, would you
be willing to relicense your code to LGPLv2+ for consistency?

Regards,
-- BKS