kxkb don't show flag in tray

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Tue Feb 3 08:29:53 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 10:14:20 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> > Absolutely agree. There is no legal liability issue in every country
> > other than in China. Which means that if you include the flags people
> > living in the Peoples Republic of China will not be able to legally use
> > Fedora. Which means that any maverick out there could potentially face
> > prosecution depending on the mood of the authorities over there or,
> > potentially have every download site with a Fedora distro blocked by The
> > Great Firewall of China. Meaning the people over there won't be able to
> > get Fedora at all. Putting the flags in a third party repository allows
> > us users to install the flags if we want them (we do want them don't we).
> > If a maverick chooses to install them, then they can do so with eyes wide
> > open if, of course, The Great Firewall of China will allow them access to
> > the repositories.
> >
> > I realize for most of us it's a freedom of speech issue. I agree it sucks
> > big time. But, we don't live in China. And with 3rd party repos we can be
> > "polite" while having our cake and eating it too. The Chinese can get
> > Fedora without us picking a fight we can't win.
>
> But a lot of countries ban things, for example some countries ban games or
> at least certain kinds of games, others ban cryptography or some kinds of
> cryptography etc. If we remove everything banned in some country, what do
> we have left to ship?
>
>         Kevin Kofler

Like I said. I agree with this 100%. I just wanted to point the potential
consequences of including the flags in the main distro. I for one will live
quite happily with whatever decision the steering committee makes as I
personally will not be negatively affected by their inclusion. And if they are
excluded, then I will quite happily continue to get them from the extra
package provided by rpmfusion.

Eli

believed to be clean.