Multimedia settings mysteries

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 17:07:28 UTC 2009

I installed 4.2 from updates-testing. On configuring Multimedia (under
Settings) I find:

1) Only audio is configurable, not video. Don't know if that's
intentional and for the moment it doesn't matter.

2) The various audio categories all show the following list of devices:
	HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)
	default (lower-case 'd')
	hw:0,0
	Default (upper-case 'D')
	PulseAudio Sound Server
	<nothing> (i.e. an icon with no text)

3) Despite repeated attempts to push the PA option into first place, as
soon as I close the dialogue it goes back to where it was.

4) The Test button sometimes works, but usually just quits the Settings
dialogue, with no error message. It doesn't seem to depend on which
device one is trying to test.

5) Music works via Amarok. Videos played with vlc or kaffeine are
silent. This used to work with 4.1.4.

6) (This is actually an old complaint, but what the hell): I can't seem
to get the Kmix 'loudspeaker' icon to appear. Instead, I get a thing
that looks like a sheet of paper tilted at an angle and with some
indecipherable blue stuff on it. This has been happening for years, but
I just thought I'd mention it :-)

poc