Multimedia settings mysteries

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Mon Feb 9 09:39:36 UTC 2009

On Monday 09 February 2009 01:29:41 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-02-08 at 22:33 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > 2) The various audio categories all show the following list of devices:
> > > HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)
> > > default (lower-case 'd')
> > > hw:0,0
> > > Default (upper-case 'D')
> > > PulseAudio Sound Server
> > > <nothing> (i.e. an icon with no text)
> >
> > There should be an entry saying just "PulseAudio" (the native PulseAudio
> > backend) at the top of that list.
>
> There wasn't.
>
> > It appears to be missing, that sounds
> > like a bug.
>
> Indeed.
>
> > Which Phonon backend are you using? The Xine backend is strongly
> > recommended, the GStreamer one is very buggy.
>
> It was GStreamer. I changed it to Xine and it's a lot better. In fact
> after changing it I got the PulseAudio option in the devices list (it
> wasn't there before) and moved it to the top.
>
> I checked with a test user and the menu is rather different (no
> duplicates or empty entries). Presumably this is the default and mine is
> screwed up because of many succesive generations of KDE. So the question
> is: do I need to trash my whole .kde config or can I just remove the
> appropriate part of it?
>
> (Stilll getting the wierd Kmix icon BTW).

Try loggin out of your kde session

renaming ~/.kde/share/config/kmixctrlrc
renaming ~/.kde/share/config/kmixrc
renaming ~/.kde/share/config/phonon.notifyrc
renaming ~/.kde/share/config/phonondevicesrc

Log back in and see what happens. If things get really screwy you can always
restore the original files.

Eli

believed to be clean.