Several problems with KMail in KDE 4.2

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 23:49:23 UTC 2009

On Qui 12 Fev 2009, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 February 2009 19:42:02 Marcelo Magno T. Sales wrote:
> > People,
> >
> > Since I've upgrade do KDE 4.2 from updates-testing, KMail is
> > presenting several issues which are making it real hard for me to
> > use it. The message list panel doesn't remember which columns is
> > should show nor their order. Every time I close Kontact and reopen
> > it, all 17 available columns are displayed in some default order.
> > It's no good to hide the ones I do not want and reorder the ones I
> > want, because the next time I close and reopen Kontact all of them
> > are shown in their default order again.
> > Today I tried to open KMail stand alone (without Kontact) to see if
> > it would behave differently. In stand alone mode it remember which
> > columns I had selected when it is opened, but not their order nor
> > their width. And now I can't open KMail embedded in Kontact
> > anymore. When I open Kontact, it opens KMail in a separate Window.
> > If I close it and select another application in Kontact and then
> > get back to mail, it opens KMail in a separate window again.
> > Sometimes, when I try to resize the Subject Column, it will just be
> > pushed to the left or to the right with the same width, resizing
> > the column right before it instead.
> > The font setup to the message list panel have no effect at all. The
> > configuration screen is there, but the font is not changed, nor its
> > size, color or other attributes.
> > When a thread is deleted with CTRL+DEL, some random message that
> > was after it is selected, instead of the one right after the
> > deleted thread. There are also other minor problems, but I've
> > reported the bugs and can live with them until they're fixed. The
> > ones described above, however, are disturbing me very much.
> > Is there any workaround for any of them while they're not fixed? Is
> > there some change I can make in configuration files, or something?
>
> Try shutting down kontact / kmail
>
> then rename
>
> ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail

I tried that, and also renaming ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc, but it
didn't get any better. The problem of kmail not opening embedded in
Kontact, however, has gone away.
I also noticed that the problem of all the possible columns always being
displayed in message list panel every time kmail is opened happens when
kmail is embedded in kontact and kontact is configured to display
another application on start up. I kmail is opened stand alone or
kontact is configured to show kmail on start up, it remembers the
columns that were displayed when it was closed (and their width too, but
not their order).

[]'s
Marcelo