Random Lockups Anyone?

James Amundson amundson at fnal.gov
Fri Feb 20 16:49:44 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 20 February 2009 02:36:22 Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
>> Uh, which is it now? There are only 2 options, XAA or EXA, which one is the
>> working one?
>>
> I added 'Option      "AccelMethod" "EXA" ' to the Device/Videocard0 section of
> xorg.conf.  The 'UseAtom-BIOS' line referenced on the userbase page is not
> relevant on the Acer Aspire One.

Anne's advice is the opposite of mine.

On my machine, a Thinkpad X61, with a "Intel Corporation Mobile
GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller rev 12", running x86_64
Fedora 10, I observe the following behaviour:

    AccelMethod = EXA: persistent random X crashes -- uptime never over
2-3 hours
    AccelMethod = XAA: no X crashes in two months

Anne seems to observe something different. The problem may vary with
hardware.

--Jim Amundson