KDE does not recognize PDF anymore

RDB techlist at pathfinder.phys.utk.edu
Fri Feb 27 04:09:21 UTC 2009

Hello,
I have a strange problem. This is Fedora 8 system with KDE-3.5. For some
reason, KDE stops recognizing PDF. The PDF icon does not show up for PDF file
on Konqueror, trying to open PDF file will ask the program I want to open it
with. Entering kpdf, kpdf will open and just say "One page document loaded",
but shows nothing on the screen although I know for sure the document is
multiple pages.

I tried launching KPdf, and try open PDF file. On the Filter, it just says
"Unknown, Postscript", it seems that even KPDF does not recognize PDF. Same
result as above when I try to actually open a known good PDF file (e.g. Evince
will open it).

I tried uninstall and install kdegraphics and still does not fix the problem. I
tried creating new clean user, removed ~/.kde, all to no avail. Very strange.

The last thing I did before this happen was that I remove AdobeReader_enu and
nsplugginwrapper because I hate that PDF always try to open Acroread inside my
Firefox. I wanted to just use KPDF as external app, and then this problem
happened. I cannot even use KPDF stand alone.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as this is practically my workstation that I
have to use.

Thanks.
RDB