Firefox bookmarks

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Mon Jul 27 17:11:07 UTC 2009

On Monday 27 July 2009 16:50:20 Petrus de Calguarium wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Does anyhone know how it's done now?
>
> Bookmarks are now saved in an sql (or some similar type of)
> database.
>
> If you have your old firefox installation available, backup
> the bookmarks (it will choose a json file extension). Then,
> go into the new installation that you want to transfer the
> bookmarks to, open up the bookmarks tool and choose restore
> from other file and select the dated json that you just
> created. I believe you can replace all of your bookmarks (the
> usual option, if you have a collection), or merge the present
> with the file. This preserves all of your tags and
> everything.
>
> You can also backup to an html file and then restore the
> bookmaks from the html file.
>
> In neither case will firefox create or use a html file to
> store the new bookmarks: they will be in the database and
> firefox automatically creates daily json backups in a
> directory.

I knew that the storage had changed, but thought that last time I needed to do
this I could import the bookmarks.  I'll have to see what my options are -
what I have available elsewhere that is similar.  I did, as it happens, export
my bookmarks to an on-line repository, recently - I think it was Quick
Bookmarks.  Since I've lost the bookmark to it, I'll have to hunt for it ;-)