Cheese crashing

Andreas Petzold Andreas.Petzold at mailbox.tu-dresden.de
Wed Jun 3 10:41:16 UTC 2009

Hi Anne,

Quoting Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>:

> When I launched cheese on the Acer Aspire One I saw what looked like the
> startup screen, but then it immediately crashed.  I'm wondering whether it is
> a problem of missing driver or something else.  Anyone have any hints?

I've never used cheese before and I don't own a AA1, so my feedback
may not be too useful.

First, I didn't have my webcam plugged in and cheese started up just
fine and after a couple of seconds it told me that I didn't have a
camera. Then I tried a camera, for which I don't have a driver
installed, with the same result as before. When I plugged in a working
cam, cheese displayed a picture, but I seemed to be unable to take
snapshots.

Judging from my rather limited experience, I don't think a missing
driver should crash cheese. A broken driver will be another story,
though.

Have you tried to use the cam with any other program, for instance
kopete? I've been using luvcview with good results in the past

http://www.quickcamteam.net/software/linux/v4l2-software/luvcview

Cheers,

Andreas