Intermittent audio errors at login

Mary Ellen Foster mefoster at gmail.com
Fri May 29 08:26:23 UTC 2009

2009/5/28 Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at>:
> Mary Ellen Foster wrote:
>> This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:
>>     - Output: PulseAudio Sound Server
>
> Hmmm, that's the ALSA PulseAudio plugin, Phonon doesn't seem to understand
> that that's nor a hardware device.

At the moment, in my "Multimedia" KCM, I have the following entries for output:
- PulseAudio
- HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)
- HDA Intel, INTEL HDMI (HDMI Audio Output)
- PulseAudio Sound Server (currently greyed out)
- Jack Audio Connection Kit
- Esound (ESD)
If I check "Show advanced devices", a new item appears above "Default":
- HDA Intel (INTEL HDMI)

For capture, the list is a bit shorter:
- HDA Intel (STAC92xx Analog)
- PulseAudio Sound Server

How many of these are necessary or even make sense? It's very
confusing (and the "Help" button is greyed out too, to make it even
more fun).

MEF

--
Mary Ellen Foster  --  http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mef/
ICCS, School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.