Is there any way to make GTK apps look nicer by default under KDE?

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Tue Oct 13 13:27:36 UTC 2009

On 10/13/2009 01:13 PM, Sven Lankes wrote:
> Reviews for qtcurve-* are on the way [1][2]
>
> Apparently this is what opensuse uses by default for gtk-apps started
> under KDE. Maybe we can switch to using it as default too.

Yeah, that would be nice. QtCurve can make GTK+ 2 app-
lications use KDE 4 icons, and with configuration, it
can also achieve a reasonable approximation of Oxygen
visually:

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Oxygen+Like+%28for+QtCurve%29?content=110590

This is considerably less hacky than the error-prone
gtk-qt-engine or that pixmap theme that is hardcoded
to the default color scheme.

The way to do this would be to put a .sh script into
the default $KDEHOME/env/ that sets GTK_RC_FILES to
point to a prepared GTK+ 2 config file that sets it
to use QtCurve, along with a set of QtCurve default
configs that fit in well with the KDE 4 defaults.

That's essentially what openSUSE does, afaik. It ma-
akes GTK+ 2 apps use QtCurve by default in a KDE se-
ssion, but doesn't affect Gnome or any other envi-
ronment.

--
Best regards,
Eike Hein