Can't get Firefox to act as default browser

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sat Sep 5 13:19:00 UTC 2009

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 05 September 2009 12:57:19 John Pilkington wrote:
>> Hi: fc10 x86_64 running kde 4.3 from updates.
>>
>> I used to have Firefox as default browser.  Now web links from
>> Thunderbird always get Konq.
>>
>> Within Firefox, Preferences > Advanced > System Defaults says that
>> Firefox is already my default browser.
>>
>> Settings > Preferred Applications > Web Browser can be set to Firefox,
>> but gets reset to 'Custom' with all the options greyed out and the
>> Command shown as  '/usr/lib64/firefox-3.0.13/firefox "%s"'
>>
>> I haven't tried the script given here
>>
>> http://userbase.kde.org/Tutorials/Modify_KDE_defaults
>>
>> which seems to be intended for cases in which the System Settings route
>> is inconvenient and looks like overkill for my case as a sole user.
>>
>> Any suggestions appreciated.
>>
> In the systemsettings dialogue, setting the browser to '/usr/bin/firefox'
> works for me.
>
> Anne

Yes, thanks.  That does appear to have done the trick; I've selected
/usr/bin/thunderbird as email client there too - ie, in Settings >
System Settings > Default Applications.

I notice that the Settings > Preferred Applications window, if activated
twice, is labelled 'Gnome-default-applications-properties' and so could
well be inappropriate, but it does seem a pity that so many apparently
but not functionally equivalent procedures coexist.

John P