kmid2 help

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Feb 14 14:15:16 UTC 2010

I wrote:
> FluidSynth's PulseAudio is quite broken too, but not as badly as the ALSA
> backend on the default/pulse device.

PS: Well, my machine being a slow P4 Northwood may have something to do with
this. I can get good output from the command-line fluidsynth (which is what
KMid2 fires up) by increasing the default buffer sizes, i.e. adding these
extra options in the KMid2 dialog:
-o audio.period-size=512 -o audio.periods=16
Lower buffer sizes lead to noise in the output.

QSynth is much worse than the command-line fluidsynth though, probably
because the UI fight for CPU slices with the fluidsynth lib. There I noticed
2 problems:
* much worse noise at low buffer sizes (to the point of the audio being
crap)
* high buffer sizes lead to irregularity in the output (i.e. timings are not
being respected)
I guess faster machines will not show these symptoms, or at least not to
that extent, though.

        Kevin Kofler