A little more MIDI help, please

Petrus de Calguarium kwhiskerz at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 18:43:53 UTC 2010

Orcan Ogetbil wrote:

> If you are using midi just for fun, keeping pulseaudio should not hurt.
This is the impression I got, but in the past I have had odd things happening with
sound and even had to reboot to set it right again. I think pulseaudio is better
now. I will see how I get along with both jack and pulseaudio later today.

> My jack runs with alsa backend and kmix' plain alsa sliders of work with jack.
I will see if there is a pulseaudio backend, otherwise I will have to do this, too.
I would prefer not to disrupt the pulseaudio setup.

> [I]f you are using jack for low latency audio productional purposes
No. I have not yet been advised what low latency is.

> or if you simply want to have full control over your audio device,
> then it is best to get rid of pulseaudio.
I definitely don't want to get rid of pulseaudio, as it is so integrated into the
system and it is working so reliably that I do not want to tamper with it.

All I want is sound when there is supposed to be sound, no matter from what source,
and I want to be able to control its volume and occasionally make other
adjustments, such as bass, treble, left, right, centre, etc. Occasionally, I might
like to separately control the volume and other qualities of one source and of
another.

What I don't want is silence when there is supposed to be sound and I don't want to
have to fiddle for hours and read endless documents that might or might not be
located on some unknown web sites somewhere that I have to spend hours and hours
locating, only to find that they are eons outdated and don't give me sound when I
am supposed to have it.