Update - incomprehensible Nepomuk messages

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Feb 24 16:00:03 UTC 2010

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> When I yum-upgraded my Fedora-10 system just now,
> I got the dread message that Nepomuk Indexing Agents
> have been disabled,

It's just a warning.

Either enable Nepomuk in System Settings (under "Desktop Search", and note
that I recommend *not* to turn on the "Strigi" file indexing (second
checkbox), only the main Nepomuk service (first checkbox)) or just ignore
the warning. In the latter case, some features such as search in contacts
will not be working, but the warning is otherwise harmless.

We discussed at yesterday's meeting whether we should enable Nepomuk by
default, the tentative consensus was to not do it for F11 and F12 (only F13)
because enabling new services in updates to stable distros is frowned upon.
On the other hand, it'd make that scary warning go away.

IMHO we should either enable Nepomuk by default or silence the warning by a
patch. (Sadly, this issue was only brought up after it was already decided
to push 4.4.0 to stable, IMHO this should have been sorted out BEFORE the
push.)

        Kevin Kofler