filesystem patch

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sun Jan 11 13:15:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 11:19:16PM +0100, Farkas Levente wrote:
> the differencies it's define a lots of env variable. and i look into
> many configure scripts and makefile and saw that thay use these macros
> like PKG_CONFIG_PATH, CC, CFLAGS, RANLIB etc.
> so imho it's rather useful since in this case we've to use less patches
> in most pacakges.

I think this is a misunderstanding of what the generated Makefiles are
doing.  Take a look at the GNU standards on this:

  http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Directory-Variables

Basically what it's saying is that any paths provided to ./configure
become the defaults in the Makefile.  eg:

  ./configure --prefix=/foo
  make      # by default the prefix will be /foo

People can _override_ these paths by supplying arguments to make, eg:

  ./configure --prefix=/usr
  make prefix=/foo     # override the default prefix

However we want the first case -- all paths supplied to ./configure
and just use the simple 'make' command.

That's not to say that every package out there follows the GNU
standards (or, equivalently, uses autoconf correctly), but we can deal
with non-compliant packages on a case-by-case basis.

Rich.

Read my OCaml programming blog: http://camltastic.blogspot.com/
Fedora now supports 68 OCaml packages (the OPEN alternative to F#)