Questions about distro/package specific suppression of an rpmlint check

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Mon Jan 26 14:26:15 UTC 2009

(To rpmlint-discuss, CC'd to fedora-mingw)

I would like to suppress certain rpmlint errors in a distro/package
specific way, ie. without needing to involve changes to upstream
rpmlint.

As a concrete example, if the distribution is Fedora and the package
name is mingw32-*, I would like to suppress the 'devel-file-in-
non-devel' package warning completely.  There are others too listed at
[1] but for now I'm just concentrating on this one warning.

I read some other messages on this list, for example [2] and the code
at [3], however these seem to concern adding new warnings/errors,
which is certainly a useful thing to do, but not what I want to do at
the moment.

The other problem is that dropping files into /usr/share/rpmlint isn't
manageable from RPM.  Firstly it requires editing an array entry in
/usr/share/rpmlint/Config.py.  Secondly (less importantly) it means
that our base package would need to depend on rpmlint.

Any thoughts on this?  I'm probably missing how to do it.

Rich.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MinGW/Rpmlint
[2] https://www.zarb.org/pipermail/rpmlint-discuss/2008-November/000649.html
[3] http://plf.zarb.org/svn/rpmlint/PlfCheck.py