[Fedora-spins] Help creating a spin

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Fri Aug 1 23:00:44 UTC 2008

Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 00:29 +0200, Jeroen van Meeuwen (Fedora Project)
> wrote:
>> Bryan Kearney wrote:
>>> I did a similar thing, used the livecd tools to provide a demo desktop
>>> environment. The basic process which I used was:
>>>
>>> 1) Use the existing live-* tools to build the ISO or USB.
>>> 2) Log in, and set up the desktop how you like it.
>>> 3) Copy out the necessary files from the home directory (.nautilus,
>>> Desktop, and .gconf I think)
>>> 4) Rebuild (1) but add %post section to coy in the files from (3)
>>>
>> He could just create a new user on his system and use that profile to be
>> copied onto the live disk during the first compose using the copy_dir
>> setting available in Revisor. We're looking for someone willing to test
>> the now conceptual integration with Sabayon.
>
> This sounds perfect :) How would I get the iso to build with the files
> in the root directory of the CD though? Or would I have to rebuild the
> ISO myself with mkisofs?
>
> What do you need testing with Sabayon?

With Sabayon, we want to integrate the process of tweaking the default
live system desktop user's settings into Revisors GUI, so that you
select packages, tweak some system settings, add a user, tweak the
desktop for that user (Sabayon), and start the compose. The culprit here
is that Sabayon would run in an earlier stage then the actual
installation of packages, and as such will not be able to represent in
any way what the desktop will look like for the user on the resulting
product.

For now, I suggest you go with the description of how to do things in
the other mail I just sent (and should already have hit your INBOX).

-Jeroen