[Fedora-spins] Spin SIG meeting agenda

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Sat Feb 14 23:21:57 UTC 2009

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> there's two spins right now that have gone through the mangling[1], and
> a few other spins that are 'incomplete'[2], or 'ready for wrangler'[3].
>
> The spins that are ready for the SIG will need to be reviewed by the
> Spins SIG members before the following meeting, Monday Feb. 16th.
>
> Spin maintainers that have not yet completed their spin pages, please do
> so now ;-)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jeroen van Meeuwen
> -kanarip
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Spins_Ready_For_SIG
> [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Incomplete_Spins
> [3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Spins_Ready_For_Wrangler

Hi there,

well, as far as I can see, the Education Spin is up for review, since
it's in the ready-for-SIG group. But I won't be able to make it for the
meeting, again.

That's also why I felt that it might be a good idea to pre-answer some
questions, which might arise during that meeting.

* First of all, why are we including two desktop environments, in fact
Sugar and Xfce, here?

Well, the goal of the spin is to expose the applications, being
available for use in the educational sector. We wanted to provide the
best-suited solution for this purpose. By doing so, why're not just
pushing the popular KDE Education package, but also the Sugar Desktop
Environment, which is gaining more and more importance.

The possibility to switch between these two environments is quite an
important point, too. Just imagine a use case, where a teacher wants to
show-case the spin to different target groups: An older student (with
more technical knowledge) can use Sugar, or, if he wants to get to a
"normal" desktop, just fire up Xfce.

* %packages --excludedocs --instLangs en_US

Yeah, that's discussable: The latter argument cleans up /usr/share
regarding the selected locales. It might be, that we'd drop this option
later, but for now, it's a good possibility for us, to save some space.

We'll also provide some comments (e.g. in the kickstart file) that
people, who wanted to create a localized version of this spin, should
also adjust this parameter.

If there are any concerns, please drop me an e-mail!

Thanks,
--Sebastian