[Fedora-spins] I need content for your spin's webpage- by Fri Oct 16

Máirín Duffy duffy at fedoraproject.org
Thu Oct 8 18:47:04 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

It looks like the following spins will be available [1] in Fedora 12:

- AOS Spin (David Huff)
- BrOffice.org Spin (Igor Pires Soares)
- Education Spin (Sebastian Dziallas)
- Electronic Lab Spin (Chitlesh Goorah)
- Games Spin (Bruno Wolff III)
- LXDE Spin (Christoph Wickert)
- XFCE Spin (Kevin Fenzi & Adam Miller)

As you likely well know, we've come up with a new
spins.fedoraproject.org design. The initial design includes individual
spin details pages. These designs can evolve and be modified however you
folks would like - our main goal for the F12 timeframe is to have a nice
spins site that looks professional and is easy-to-use rather than what
we have today which is basically a flat dump of torrent files [2] and
scattered spins details pages and wiki pages.

So the general idea is we'll have a main directory of spins:

https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/1/11/Spins-directory-popularity_1.png

And each spin will have its own multiple-tabbed page to offer up
downloads and other other details you'd like to make available. Here's
an example one I mocked up for the KDE spin:

https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/3/31/Spin-details-home.png

You see the tabs for the spin - I think that depending on your spins'
needs, these can be flexible, but at a minimum we need a 'home' tab to
give a basic description of what the spin is, and a 'download' tab to
provide the downloads.

I hope you're all cool with this. :) I've been trying to blog this on
Planet Fedora and it's been discussed on the logistics-list and fab list
as well for the past couple months or so, but it was totally my
oversight to not include this list in the process. I'm hoping moving
forward we can take the design I came up with as a kind of potential
vision, and adapt the design to meet your needs over time.

If we're all good there, what I would like to get from you all by next
Friday if possible:

- A slogan for your spin to serve as the heading for the home page. The
sample one I came up for KDE is: "It's your desktop. Be free." If you
need helping coming up with one I'm happy to help.

- At least a paragraph describing what your spin is used for, who your
spin is for, what unique features it has - that kind of information.
This will also go on the home tab.

- A representative screenshot for your spin.

- For the downloads tab, if you'd like custom text to describe the spin
download, let me know. Otherwise I'll use the defaults in this mockup:
https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/c/ce/Spin-details-download.png

- For the support tab, I'd like to know what IRC channels or other live
support options users have for your spin (if any), what mailing lists /
forums / non-live support options users have for your spin (if any), and
what documentation would you like to highlight to new users. An example
is shown here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/File:Spin-details-support.png

- Finally, I'd like to create some custom branding for each spin, so the
different spins pages are distinguishable from one another. You can see
in this KDE spin mockup, I did a bar above the tabs that has the KDE
logo. Let me know what kind of graphic you'd like for your spin ASAP and
I can come up with mockups:
https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/3/31/Spin-details-home.png

I know this is a lot to ask, but can you give it a shot and let me know
if this is not do-able or if you have any concerns? I'm usually on
freenode as 'mizmo' or you can shoot me an email or we can discuss
on-list here as well.

Thanks,
~m

p.s. the full spins.fpo site redesign is available here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Website_redesign_2009/Mockups/Spins.fpo

[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Spins_Fedora_12
[2] http://spins.fedoraproject.org/