[Fedora-spins] I need content for your spin's webpage- by Fri Oct 16

David Huff dhuff at redhat.com
Thu Oct 22 18:05:20 UTC 2009

On 10/22/2009 01:41 PM, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> On 10/22/2009 07:36 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Thu, 2009-10-22 at 10:04 -0400, David Huff wrote:
>>> Can you provide me with more information on how this compose tool works.
>>>   I would like to better understand the process in order to determine how
>>> we can make this easier.
>>
>> All the other spins use livecd-creator, the same arguments, and all
>> build on the fedora-live-base.ks file.  AOS uses appliance-creator, has
>> different arguments, and uses a different base ks file.  That's what
>> makes it harder to produce.
>>

> It doesn't necessarily use a different tool though; the AOS kickstart
> works with just livecd-tools; it's just that they want a partioned
> disk.img in a .tar.gz that makes it need a different util.
>
> Whether it does or does not use fedora-live-base.ks shouldn't be a problem.

Well the initial goal was to develop a base appliance "image," which
would specify a minimal package set that could be expanded upon.

We went the spin route b/c it seemed like the right way/place to address
building Fedora based "images" and get some community involvement.  The
problem we are hitting is that an "Image" is not the same as a spin,
currently a spin is nothing but a livecd iso image.

Idealy a spin could be something other that just a livecd iso, and the
current livecd's (spins) would all be based off the minimal package set
and include additional packages and post scripts to make the "Image" a
bootable livecd.

I don't think the tooling is a real issue, rather the "compose" step,
which AIUI is a manual process that involves rel-eng, is this correct?

-D