[Fedora-spins] A few questions about creating a spin

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Thu Jun 21 12:49:55 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 08:57:44 +0200,
   Jørn Lomax <northlomax at gmail.com> wrote:

>1 kernel parameters ( threadirqs in our case) how (can?) we add them to the
>Live system and on install?

Live installs copy over the system image, so if you can do this with sysctl,
it's probably not hard. If you need to change the kernel parameters in /boot,
that will be harder, but there is probably some way to do it.

>2 is it possible to modify sysconfig files in / owned by other packages? -
>ie. changing the default values in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf .

You normally aren't supposed to do this in normal spins. This should probably
be noted on your spin wiki page as an exception should get granted.

>3 is it possible to change/set config items in /home/<installed_user> ?
>(e.g. /home/<user/.pulse - which would be a solution if (2) is not possible)

You should be able to use /etc/skel to set per user defaults. This is probably
better than making system wide changes.

>4 adding items to /etc/xdg/autostart (to autostart apps by default for all
>users).

This file would normally just get copied over unless you do change it
in the live setup script so that the change is only in the overlay.

>5 (related to #4) can we drop files into ~/.config/autostart as part of the
>install process for the default user?

I believe /etc/skel can be used here as well.

>6 and which if any of these things can we do for the Live user?

You should be able to make the same changes apply to the live user.

>7 How much can be changed in the kickstart file after submission?

If you make significant changes in a live image after it has been approved,
it is supposed to get reviewed again.