Adding an <info> tag?

Paul Tagliamonte paultag at debian.org
Tue Feb 12 18:45:12 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 01:43:00PM -0500, David Malcolm wrote:
> Currently we have two kinds of result within an <analysis>:
>   * <issue> elements, representing a warning from an analysis code about
> a possible problem with the software-under-test (SUT)
>   * <failure> elements, representing a report about a failure of an
> analysis tool to achieve full coverage of the SUT (e.g. the tool crashed
> or timed out)
>
> I'm thinking it might be useful to be able for an analyzer to record
> arbitrary extra information about the software-under-test, where it
> isn't an issue as such, but for custom data-gathering about the SUT, so
> I'm considering adding an <info> element as a third type of result, with
> an optional <location> and allowing storing <custom-fields>.
>
> The motivating use-case for me is in my mass-analysis of Python
> extension modules: I though it might be interesting to gather some stats
> on uses of the CPython API, and it's not a bit stretch to add this to
> cpychecker's firehose output.   Perhaps one could use this to build an
> lxr-style indexing tool also.
>
> Thoughts?

Massively +1. I've been protyping some code that results in this sort of
data (I'm interested in copyright data -- it's not an "issue" to have
code under the GPL, or BSD-3, or Expat) and was thinking of filing
issues with severity "information" for those types of things.

I was pondering sending in a request, but you beat me to it.

Totally +1

Cheers,