correlating static analysis results with known crashes

Stefano Zacchiroli zack at debian.org
Wed Oct 30 08:27:19 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 11:10:32AM -0400, David Malcolm wrote:
> That in itself might be something we could track using firehose,
> perhaps?  i.e. have an <info> element that says that the code is
> patched downstream by a particular distribution.  Then the UI can
> render those elements (though which version of the source would you
> render in such a situation), and one can run a query showing patches
> across multiple distros and packages.

Uhm, so the broader need here is the ability to correlate different
distro-specific versions with one another or, in fact, to the respective
upstream version. We can do that via external databases, but it would
add a pretty heavy infrastructure dependency.

IMO it would be better to pursue one of the following two solutions (or
even both):

- add a new sub-element to <sut> which mentions the *upstream* version;
  once we have that we can correlate reports from different distros via
  the upstream version (if there are significant differences, that
  should come from the distro-specific patching)

- add a new <context> or <excerpt> sub-element to failure/info/etc. that
  can be used to add snippets of code around the location the static
  analysis tool is pointing at. The idea of this is the same of contexts
  for textual diffs: by comparing them we will be able to understand if
  we're talking about the same code or, due to patched, significantly
  different parts of it.

  Of course it's an approximated solution, as the failure might descend
  from patches far far away in the code base, but if it works for diff,
  I think it'd be good enough for us as well. (And if we also have the
  upstream version, we can always lookup the distro-specific patches by
  external means and compare those.)

Just my 0.02 EUR,
Cheers.
--