Prepaid USA SIM with voice/text/data plan

Gianluca Sforna giallu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 22:46:29 UTC 2013

Tim, thank you very much for your detailed analysis.

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 9:41 PM, Tim Flink <tflink at redhat.com> wrote:
> The issue at hand is how tmo-us does 3G/4G data. Their frequency
> spectrum has been pretty much unique globally (split 1700/2100 but at&t
> is starting to deploy LTE on the same spectrum) and there are not many
> phones which are capable of using that spectrum and aren't specifically
> branded or built for tmo-us (for example, the nexus s was sold as two
> different models in the US - one for tmobile and one for att/everywhere
> else).
>
> If your phone has a radio which is capable of using 1700 AND 2100 (you
> do need both), you can use tmo-us 3G just fine (maybe 4G but I'm fuzzier
> on the details about what's required for that). Otherwise, you'll still
> be able to get data over EDGE (2G speed), make phone calls and send sms.
> The wrinkle in this is that tmo-us is in the process of upgrading their
> infrastructure, so it is possible that they have 3G on the more normal
> 1900 spectrum in charleston but I'm not sure how to find out other than
> just trying it.

This is really helpful. So the summary is that satisfaction will
depend on the phone we have. Mine is a Galaxy Nexus so it should be
ok, or at least that is what
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/phone-sim-card says.

FWIW, the coverage page at http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx/
shows Charleston with good coverage both for 3G/4G and 2G, not sure
how much reality will match.

All in all, if it was just for me, I'd take the risk and pick the readysim.

Does it still make sense to share the idea with the attendees list?

--
Gianluca Sforna

http://morefedora.blogspot.com
http://identi.ca/giallu - http://twitter.com/giallu