Bandwidth planning for video

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Thu Apr 16 08:10:10 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I spoke with Tom and Ruth earlier about planning Flock bandwidth with
> > the hotel.  The Hangouts On Air requirements are not too
> > strict,probably because of the encoder used locally:
> >
> > https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/1216376
> >
> > This shows ~2.6 Mbps uplink bandwidth required per stream (room).  We
> > would want to caution people in the room from getting on the live
> > stream while we're uplinking.  (It wouldn't make sense anyway, but
> > people do weird things in the name of "testing.")
> >
> > If we have six rooms, that means ~16 Mbps upstream bandwidth required.
> > Can the Hyatt provide?
>
> If not, we also discussed not doing streaming in all the rooms.  The
> number of hits we got on the live streams over the past two Flocks
> were fairly low.  It's quite a bit of hassle to set this up and we
> want to make sure it's actually worthwhile for all talks instead of
> just for the large room.

Looking on analytics from Prague, we had only 48 views online during
the event but several thousand recording views (*). So the live stream is
not the must but having recordings available as soon as possible is a
good idea. With the way how Google's streaming works, it's easiest way
but...

Screenshot from analytics: http://rezza.hofyland.cz/fedora/flock/flock-stats.png
Full stats CSV: http://rezza.hofyland.cz/fedora/flock/views.csv

(*) EU Flock, so timezones makes difference for folks in the US,
other way it's possible to watch live streams.

Jaroslav