default font list for f17

Qianqian Fang fangqq at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 21:48:12 UTC 2012

On 03/06/2012 02:46 PM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le Mar 6 mars 2012 20:22, Qianqian Fang a écrit :
>
>> I did not follow the default font settings in F17.
>> There was a long standing issue of reading Chinese
>> under non-CJK locales (en,fr etc) because Japanese
>> fonts were set to a higher priority in the fontconfig
>> 65-nonlatin.
> How is fontconfig supposed to arbiter between CJK users when you're not
> telling it the locale you want?

while this is true, the issue does exist, admit or not.

To be more explicit, I think there is a blind point in the
current fallback mechanism for handling "unspecified"
language font fallback. Ignoring it will continue impacting
users experience in a negative way, in my opinion.

> What you describe is not an issue, it's an
> impossible wish.

No matter you set the default font or not, there will
be one chosen for these locales (currently it is
Japanese). All I want to say is that, when there is no
specific preference, Chinese is a better choice as it
provides consistent glyphs over a larger unicode
coverage.