[Fedora-fr-list] Un peu de com

Thomas Canniot thomas.canniot at laposte.net
Sun Mar 11 21:43:44 UTC 2007

Voilà le mail que j'aimerai bien envoyer à la liste ambassadors mais
également blogguer, et peut être demander à ThomasChung d'en faire une
news.
Il est le fruit de la remarque de Chitlesh comme quoi nous ne
communiquons pas assez sur nos activités (et je partage son avis). Comme
je suis l'un de ceux qui cause mieux anglais, j'aurai certainement du le
faire plus tôt. J'essaie donc par la présente de me rattraper un petit
peu.:)

Cordialement,

Thomas

OK, here is a mail to respond to several topics that are in many people
minds, it seems.

First, let me re-introduce you the Fedora-fr Community, the "Who-are-you
question."
Fedora-fr.org is a community websites whose aims is to promote Fedora.
It is lead mostly by active Ambassadors. It is made of a forum, several
mailing lists, an IRC channel on Freenode and a local documentation
project. There are at the moment more than 9000 members subscribed to
our forums. On these forums, we help people if they have problems and
questions about the distro, obviously, but we also help people creating
their own RPM to help them participating into Fedora Extras. We have
also about 15 people contributing to the local documentation project.
Fedora-fr is also the area where French Ambassadors are altogether.
There are 13 active ambassadors. On Sundays, they meet up to discuss
topics about the local organisation of the promotion of the distro, but
also the big decisions taken by the Project in general.

What are you doing
We are actively promoting the distribution. How do we do this ? We did
it be creating a strong community website first. People can share their
thoughts about Fedora, with the forums, the IRC or the blog platform.
Ambassadors and involved people also go to different events. This year,
Fedora was officially represented by some ambassadors (6) at the biggest
Linux event in France, Linux Solutions. Some French Ambassadors (3) also
went to FOSDEM to meet European Ambassadors and worldwide involved
people.

What is this Fedora-fr Organisation thing ?
First, I've got to explain to you how we came to this idea. There were
first requests from French people to be able to give Fedora money. They
couldn't, as the Project does not accept gifts. Then, there were several
misunderstandings and little organisation (from both side it seems), and
we were invited to create our materials locally. As nobody here wanted
to spend its own money for it, we decided that a non-profit organisation
was a very good thing to do : it would allow us to create our own
materials and to be recognised as a fully organised and legal entity by
the Fedora Project and RedHat.
Moreover, as RedHat Brandful store goodies shipping costs are completely
unaffordable by Europeans, we decided to create a webshop as well.
As you can see, everything is about promoting Fedora, as it has never
been the case elsewhere and before.

How are you going to do it ?
As soon as the Organisation is open, we will invite people to subscribe
to it, if they are willing to. This would create a lot of money. Then,
because we know that subscription will slow down a day or another and
because Fedora goodies are very difficult to find in Europe, we had this
webshop idea : on each product that are going to be sold, we will get a
little part of its price for the organisation. Then, we will finally
have some money to work with, so as to create DVD and help people
promoting the distro (by having a part of their trip reimbursed for
example).
Involved ambassadors voted for the creation of the non-profit
organisation on January 31st, during Linux Solutions event. Here are the
involved people : Thomas Canniot (myself -- president), Armel Kermorvant
(vice-president), Johan Cwislinski (treasurer), Guillaume Kulakowski
(secretary) and two others people involved in the Steering Committee,
Thierry Delmonte and Charles Vinchon.

What do you think of Fedora Europe Infrastructure (FEI) ?
We think that Fedora Europe Infrastructure is a very good idea and we
want to take an active part in its creation. Let me explain to you how
we see things. We think that FEI has to help people organise themselves
into local non-profit organisations, mostly has we did here in France.
If there are some money to deal with, from RedHat for example, FEI will
get the money so as to share it to non-profit organisations which need
to promote Fedora locally. If they can't / don't want to create a
non-profit organisation or if they don't want to create goodies locally,
then FEI will have goodies made for them and send to them. FEI however
should only accept large orders and not give DVD one by one. Local
community don't need all the army with us (a big website and all that
stuff), but only a legal entity ruled by recognised rules that help FEI
understand that they are not trying to get things for themselves.

How should FEI be organised ?
Well, I don't think it may be a good idea to have only one person
leading FEI. It may be a very good idea however that some people manage
things. At least, 3, but not more, to avoid under activity.
FEI Steering Committee should be elected by Ambassadors. And only
European Ambassadors should be allowed to be at its head (or maybe one
person from the Fedora Ambassador Project, as its leader, or even
higher, Greg or Max).