Publicity

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 17:00:27 UTC 2009

Chris,

I think you asked earlier -- although I can't seem to put my hands on
the specific email -- about how widely to publicize FUDCon.  (At least
I'll be splitting this thread out now, hope that helps.)  You noted
that there might be as many as several hundred students interested in
attending, and I think you were concerned that might overwhelm our
ability to provide effective event support.

We could limit the need to provide limitless funding if we do one or
more of the following:

* Limit gifts (T-shirt, FUDPub coverage) to a pre-arranged number of
  pre-registrants.

* Seek sponsorship from one or more places.  Seneca is already giving
  us free facilities so I'm loath to go there, but perhaps the user
  education track gives us a way to seek sponsorship elsewhere.

A further thought about Point #1: Running the pre-registration process
through the wiki works tolerably well and requires little effort on
our part, but it's not going to be easy for planning technical
sessions.  We may need to find and set up conference management
somewhere on Fedora infrastructure.