Mel Chua mchua at fedoraproject.org
Sat Oct 3 06:38:23 UTC 2009

1.  mchua to report status of spreading information to LUGs about FUDCon

The short: we have LUG liasons who we can ping to poke said LUGs about
proposals but no proposals per se yet. Relevant ticket is
https://fedorahosted.org/marketing-team/ticket/18.

Copying the wonderful folks who've been doing the LUG Liasoning on this
email. Karlie, Charley, Jon - I grabbed Paul's FUDCon announcement and
re-spun it into a "hey LUGs, please send your ideas" form letter, which
is at https://fedorahosted.org/marketing-team/ticket/18#comment:7 and
also posted below.

Could you copy-paste that into an email and forward it (with any
modifications you want) to the LUGs you are in contact with, and Cc
fudcon-planning at lists.fedoraproject.org so we know who's got the letter?

Thanks!

--Mel

---

FUDCon Toronto 2009, the upcoming Fedora Users and Developers Conference
in Toronto from December 5-7, needs your help, o wonderful local LUGs!

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Toronto_2009

Fedora is a popular Linux distribution; our mission is about the rapid
progress of Free and Open Source software. FUDCon is where our community
gets together and simultaneously celebrates and sprints towards the
future - and we'd love it if you could join us and help us figure out
what that future should look like. Namely, we'd love to have
participation from local LUGs, particularly with turning FUDCon into an
opportunity to introduce folks from and near Toronto to open source -
and we need ideas on how to do just that.

We will have some special “getting-started” user sessions on Saturday,
December 5, as well as our always-popular developer tracks and hackfests
throughout the length fo the conference. We’re also planning some sort
of refereed or pre-sorted content, in addition to BarCamp? format talks,
so everyone will be able to find something they like. Some of our ideas
are at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Toronto_2009#Technical_sessions_-_Saturday,
but we would love to hear yours - how would you shape the schedule?

Please give us ideas for sessions and hackfests you’d like to see!
Outreach for kids? A gaming corner? An artists' studio with Inkscape
tutorials running? A keysigning party? A session on marketing for open
source projects? Invite a local high school newspaper to cover a "how
did you get started with open source?" storytelling circle? A helpdesk
where we can pool together and tackle the weirdest setups, questions,
and bugs you've always wanted to work out? A lunch gathering on
education? An installfest? A test day? A kernel hacking party?

We need your ideas! Email the fudcon-planning
(https://admin.fedoraproject.org/mailman/listinfo/fudcon-planning) list
with your thoughts on what would make this FUDCon *really* cool, and how
we could use it to help you build your presence and momentum here in
Ontario - we're looking forward to hearing your brainstorms and seeing
you all in December!

Thanks muchly,

--Mel Chua on behalf of the FUDCon Planning Crew

PS: If you can come, pre-registration is already open on the wiki
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Toronto_2009#Pre-registration),
where you can find loads of other information and maps as well.
Pre-registering gets you a couple extras, like lunch each day, a bit of
schwag, and a pass to FUDPub. But FUDCon is absolutely free to attend,
whether you pre-register or not, and FUDCon is open to everyone, since
time immemorial. (Or at least since we started having them years ago.)