Subsidies

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 19:00:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:59:00PM -0400, Mel Chua wrote:
> On 10/20/2009 08:07 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >Mel,
> >
> >How much funding do we purport to have left for subsidies?  How tight
> >are those purse strings?
>
> Just went through the budget table on
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:FUDCon_Toronto_2009_budget
> again; spreadsheet of calculations attached (basically to check the
> math on the wiki page).
>
> We've spent/budgeted $15,491.00 of our allocated $19k, meaning that
> we have $3,509 left.
>
> I'm not sure if we have exact numbers for the t-shirts and the bus,
> and how that changes things. Also, not everyone's plane tickets have
> been booked yet, so some of these numbers are approximate rather
> than exact.

We don't have an exact number for the T-shirts but it shouldn't be far
off what we spent last time around, which was right around $1K.

For the bus, I'm expecting ~$2700 according to the vendor.  The play
in that number should be very small.

> Sanity checks and patches welcome; I am new to accounting, and want
> to be particularly sure this number crunching is being done
> correctly.

We have everyone currently approved for travel costs on that list,
right?  Assuming so, I would suggest the following:

1.  Announce that sponsorships are going fast, via
    fedora-devel-announce and blog, and we need all applicants to get
    their information in by this weekend.

2.  We cap remaining sponsorships at about $2500, so we have a bit
    breathing room in the budget.  We aim to maximize the number of
    people covered by that amount.  (A few hundred dollars this way or
    that is not a big deal.)