Publicity

Chris Tyler ctyler at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 8 14:43:27 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-28 at 13:00 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I think you asked earlier -- although I can't seem to put my hands on
> the specific email -- about how widely to publicize FUDCon.  (At least
> I'll be splitting this thread out now, hope that helps.)  You noted
> that there might be as many as several hundred students interested in
> attending, and I think you were concerned that might overwhelm our
> ability to provide effective event support.
>
> We could limit the need to provide limitless funding if we do one or
> more of the following:
>
> * Limit gifts (T-shirt, FUDPub coverage) to a pre-arranged number of
>   pre-registrants.
>
> * Seek sponsorship from one or more places.  Seneca is already giving
>   us free facilities so I'm loath to go there, but perhaps the user
>   education track gives us a way to seek sponsorship elsewhere.
>
> A further thought about Point #1: Running the pre-registration process
> through the wiki works tolerably well and requires little effort on
> our part, but it's not going to be easy for planning technical
> sessions.  We may need to find and set up conference management
> somewhere on Fedora infrastructure.

Paul,

This is the direction I'm going:

* Promoting FUDCon to the smaller number of students who are strongly
plugging into the project as contributors, such as my Build & Release
students (i.e., have a FAS2 account, using bugzilla, on IRC, etc).

* Encouraging other students not to register online but to attend the
barcamp day on Saturday. This will relieve pressure on the t-shirt &
FUDPub expenses if they are restricted to registered attendees. (OTOH,
maybe I should get them to sign up somewhere -- perhaps on the Seneca
wiki -- so we do have a count for room-size purposes).

-Chris