Meeting today, 1900 UTC / 3:00pm US-EDT / 12:00pm US-PDT

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 16:01:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 04:54:52PM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I'm still on vacation, and unfortunately this meeting is like one hour
> >> after I'm supposed to be checked out of the hotel.  I'll check the
> >> minutes tonight, feel free to assign me things as needed.
> >>
> >> For the meeting - the only thing I have is a question - I know on the
> >> FUDCon planning pages somewhere it's indicated that we should have a
> >> FAD onsite to plan things / go over details - is this still something
> >> we are going to be doing? If so, do we want to start considering that
> >> now?
> >
> > I don't think it's a hard and fast requirement.  Max and I used to
> > plan previous FUDCons without one.  But I do think that because FUDCon
> > is changing a bit in terms of who's taking up logistical duties, other
> > changes in the way we plan might make sense.
> >
> > But before we worry about setting up a FAD, what do we need to plan
> > that we're not already planning?  What details can't we handle as
> > we're doing now?  (IOW, what problem are we solving with a FAD?)
>
> I have no idea, tbh. It's in the FUDCon organization process -
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon_organization_process#FUDCon_Planning_FAD
> - I figured there might be a reason for this, though the link is more
> or less empty :)
>
> I think it would be helpful to have a pair of eyeballs in the area
> beforehand (not like, the day before - time enough to make sure we can
> figure out alternate $solution) to assess building logistics - where
> is the best place to do registration? Do we have giant lines for that?
> How much space do we need? Where do we store tee-shirts or proposed
> lanyards or... ? Should we look at the classrooms and their
> accompanying accessories to try to figure out what prescheduled tracks
> should go where?

We should have the actual rooms decided for FUDCon Tempe specifically
by December, and I would expect that to happen pretty well in advance
at all FUDCon locations.  So this is something I think the bid team
can easily handle.  (Ryan will have access to a lot of these places
starting next month, for instance.)  I don't see a particular need to
fly Red Hat people around to OK stuff, when we can trust the
contributors on the ground to make good decisions.  If there are
questions, though, of course we can always talk about them on list and
figure things out!

> (/me notes that the Phoenix data center is, well, in the same area -
> if someone is planning on going there for any reason, that might be
> something to think about doing.)

Hey, that's a good point.  I'll cc Mike McGrath about this.

> Other than that - I really don't see a huge need, although I may be
> missing something.  If someone thought it should be done while writing
> this stuff at Events FAD - it'd be interesting to know why.

/me doesn't recall, other than a general desire to talk about things.