hotel for fudcon tempe 2011

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Aug 11 22:09:45 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 17:57 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 17:51 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 15:48 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
> > > A quick review on Google maps[1] revealed that there are apparently
> > > loud trains nearby.  I'm not opposed to a Courtyard as the one in
> > > Toronto was very nice, but that may be something to think about.
> > > Overall the reviews were positive, btw.
> >

> > I read about the trains - the windows are doubled up to keep the sound
> > in check and maybe this is just me b/c I've lived near-ish trains my
> > whole life but I'll keep the $75/night and deal with trains a lot
> > better.
> >
> > :)
> > -sv

some more info after talking to frields a bit:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/fudcon-planning/2010-July/000716.html

>From Robyn:
> This has been the best hotel as far as convenience. There is a
> Courtyard Marriott also in downtown Tempe which was approximately $10
> less per night than the Mission Palms, which is located next to the
> train tracks, and also was fairly uncertain that they could
> accommodate the group, or have any type of meeting space for us.

They're about $75 cheaper per night and I just confirmed they have 35 rooms available for that weekend.

They do have meeting space but I have not confirmed its availability nor its size.

If the trains are the only issue then maybe it would be worth the $100 to have someone stay the night and find out how loud they are.
For 35 rooms we're talking a savings difference of about $3080.

Given what I've seen for flights that's ~7-8 more people flying in from the east coast.

If this is already decided I'll stop asking about it :)

thanks,
-sv