hotel for fudcon tempe 2011

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 13:26:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 11:19:19PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 19:40 -0400, Paul Frields wrote:
>
> > Seth, since you've already confirmed the availability of rooms, are
> > you willing to help with the following three questions?
> >
> > * What does airport transportation cost to the hotel?  If it's
> > ~$10/person on a shuttle service, that's totally acceptable.  If it
> > costs $50 by taxi, we're not saving people as much, since the light
> > rail goes from the airport to just a couple blocks from the Mission
> > Palms. ;-)
> >

> From:
> http://www.marriott.com/hotels/maps/travel/phxte-courtyard-tempe-downtown/
>

> Phoenix - PHX
>       * Phone:  1 602 2733300
>       * Hotel direction: 5.1 miles W
>       * Driving Directions: From Phoenix Sky Harbor International
>         Airport take the 202 (east cities) highway. Exit on Priest Dr.
>         and make a right. Take a left at the next light - Rio Salado
>         Pkwy. Continue on Rio Salado Pkwy which turns into Ash Ave.
>         Hotel is on the SW corner of 5th St and Ash.
>       * Courtesy phone available
>       * Airport shuttle service, on request, complimentary
>       * Estimated taxi fare: 12.00  USD  (one way)
>       *
>
> > * The Mission Palms is offering us a Friday night hospitality suite
> > gratis. I would want at *least* that same deal at the Courtyard, but
> > perhaps they would also throw in a hack suite somewhere -- it would
> > need to be a suite or room that won't disturb other guests, though.
> >
> > * I would like to confirm they don't mind us bringing in pizzas and
> > sodas to the hospitality suite to share with people arriving.
> >
> > * Would they have any issue with us bringing in a beefed-up broadband
> > system for the weekend? We would have a properly licensed contractor
> > work directly with the hotel, and I would presume that contractor
> > would have references available upon request.
>
> Here are their meeting amenities:
> http://www.marriott.com/hotels/event-planning/travel/phxte-courtyard-tempe-downtown/
>

> I can go through the group reseveration proposal process, if you'd like
> but I'm worried I'll be nagging you for a lot more information.

You're probably right -- after all, it's been a requirement for the
person signing the actual contract to work this out.

> it's right here:
> http://www.marriott.com/meetings/group-travel/schedule-groupBooking.mi?marshaCode=phxte
>
> I can fill it out tomorrow after consulting a bit on what our
> requirements are.

Usually, rather than filling out the form, it's easier to simply phone
the hotel directly and ask for the group coordinator.  More efficient
and you can generally avoid getting highballed (on price) that way.