hotel for fudcon tempe 2011

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 15:13:14 UTC 2010

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 10:13:52AM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I called the Courtyard this afternoon and had a very pleasant exchange
> >> with John, one of the group sales coordinators.  Although their
> >> published rate is still actually around $149, Seth provided some
> >> online booking references for the $99 rate.  They are actually
> >> provided as part of a "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" deal, meaning 3 nights works
> >> out to an average rate of $99.  Since we are going to be using at
> >> least 3 nights for just about everyone who's there, I'm pretty
> >> confident about negotiating for it.
> >>
> >> I also found out they have plenty of space for a 50-room block, and
> >> will not hold us to any kind of maximum attrition (meaning we don't
> >> pay for rooms we don't use).  We'd be required of course to give those
> >> rooms up out of the block after a specific deadline, meaning they go
> >> back to the general room population for letting to whoever comes
> >> along.  That's expected and perfectly acceptable.
> >>
> >> I'm having an email conversation as follow-up with the coordinator, so
> >> please stay tuned -- I'll have more information soon.
> >
> > The Courtyard tells me the $99 rate is limited to a maximum of two
> > rooms for the weekend as a special deal through hotels.com.  However,
> > they're willing to extend us a rate of $129/night, which is still a
> > pretty substantial savings in my opinion.
> >
> > I'm going to try to rake them over the coals a little more, but if
> > that won't work, are there strident objections about going with this
> > hotel?
> >
> > /me eyes Robyn, who spent quite a bit of time working on hotels
> > already.  If she can feel good about this choice, then so can I.
>
> I think this seems like a reasonable deal.  Are they aware that we're
> looking at another hotel?
>
> And - are they able / willing to give us any concessions like -
> * offering up a room for hackspace
> * OR - offering us maybe some upgrades from regular rooms to suites -
> so we have some living space to go along with sleeping areas to hack
> in / keep soda / eat pizza in?
>
> If not - how much is a hackspace going to cost? I was pretty
> comfortable with the Mission Palms not having a dedicated room - just
> because it has a giant courtyard with TONS of seating, patio heaters,
> fireplaces, and a really enormous lobby - plenty of spaces for people
> to spread out and get together.  I'm not entirely sure what the
> Courtyard tempe has - there are photos, but i haven't actually walked
> around inside / outside to get a feel. It may be adequate as well.

When I spoke to the sales coordinator on the phone, I mentioned that
we would want (1) a hospitality area on arrival night (Friday 1/28),
and (2) a suite or other large room in which people could expect to
meet after hours, 24/7.  I made sure to tell him it would probably be
best for that room to be located somewhere the inhabitants wouldn't
disturb other guests.

I sent another message to the coordinator on Friday night (my time)
letting him know that we really need them to do better than the $129
rate.  He made a big deal on the phone about how they'd normally step
down the rate a little at a time to get there, but I figure that's
normal "sales guy" talk.