FUDCon: Tempe FUDPub options, round 2 (I am an endless pit of ideas!)

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 00:25:48 UTC 2010

inode0 reminded me today that there is a nice student area with pool
tables and such that can be rented out.

So, I looked into it *a bit*: From what I can see, Sparky's Den,
located in the Memorial Union, can be fully rented out for $155 an
hour (or $195 if we weren't affiliated with a student group).

They have 8 lanes of bowling, 14 billiards tables, 2 table tennis
tables, foosball, 4 tvs, and an arcade.  (Spot will be pleased to hear
that he can spend quarters on Simpsons pinball *all night long.*)

Now, of course, there are a few catches:

* We have to use University Catering for food. I don't know if this
includes rules about donated food, donated beverage, approved caterer
list, or what.
* Alcohol would require a permit that has to be approved by Campus PD,
and we would have to have servers. I can't imagine this to be
incredibly complicated, but who knows.
* It may only be possible to rent it on Sunday. I've already requested
information on this.  If this is the case, would we be interested in
doing FUDPub on Sunday instead of Saturday?

I've put in an email (as I said) with our contact for booking stuff in
the MU.  I also asked her for some pointers / info on the other stuff
(catering, alcohol, you know, the important things, plus the other
catering questions I had for her anyhow). If she can't answer the
questions, she can at least point me in the right direction and we can
see if this is doable within budget.  It might be a decent option from
the perspective of being probably the right amount of space for all of
us with plenty to do, being able to have some space for the
world-famous FPL speech, etc.

Thoughts?

-Robyn