Events FAD remote participation infrastructure

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Jan 12 13:24:10 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:49:28 +0100,
  Yaakov Nemoy <loupgaroublond at gmail.com> wrote:

> What i meant here is that we can do two things, and simultaneously.
> Having a voice stream is optimal because you can pick up exactly what
> people are saying. IRC doesn't afford that unfortunately. Not everyone
> is going to have access to voice though, so i think someone (or
> someones) should be logging everything on IRC, just like the previous
> FAD and FUDCon. Having voice is a bonus. Likewise, even if i have
> voice, i may not have a microphone so i may post questions to IRC
> anyways.

As one who has tried to participate remotely in FADs a couple of times, I have
found a combination of Fedora Talk, Gobby and IRC to be nice. With Fedora Talk
you mostly listen real time, and then either add comments in IRC or by turning
your mic on. Gobby is a nice place to share state and allows everyone to make
shared notes.

You also need to be prepared ahead of time (just like the people who are
going to be on site) if you expect to be able to contribute significantly.