Events FAD engineering-project (Goal 3) update

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 14:01:38 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 12:44:04AM -0500, Mel Chua wrote:
[...snip...]
> EXCEPT. Those of you who looked at the github list may catch the word
> 'rpmfusion' in the README and twitch a little. Freeseer currently
> requires ffmpeg, mencoder, and mplayer, and because of the way it uses
> codecs, it isn't kosher for Fedora as it stands. *If* we could fix that,
> we'd have a truly free and unencumbered event-recording solution on our
> hands.
>
> And it turns out that we probably can.
>
> Logs of Andrew, Clint, zxiiro, Dennis, and Jon starting to figure out
> the gameplan are at
> http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fudcon-planning/2010-01-15/fudcon-planning.2010-01-15-02.36.log.html,
> which is also listed in
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Events_FAD_2010#Meetings. The short
> version is "use gstreamer" - maybe Andrew, Clint, or someone else can
> give a more accurate longer summary, after zxiiro does a little testing
> of the stuff Clint suggested.

Read the log, looks like super progress thus far!  Although some
people consider Gstreamer difficult for use in applications like
non-linear editing, it's generally cut out well for
streaming/recording.  Great teamwork last night on this, all.

> In other news, we now have $874.30 remaining for travel funds, so if you
> need plane tickets or hotel rooms to participate, holler to the list to
> let us know what you're going to do and how much it would cost and we'll
> see what we can do. (David Nalley is currently in the queue, and I
> believe that's all.)

So... what was the deal with the really high travel costs?  I think
Andrew quoted something like $2100, but when I did a plane fare search
on kayak.com I was able to easily find ~$455 non-stop, round trip
tickets YOW->RDU.