Prospectus and Sponsorship Documents for FUDCon Tempe 2011

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 13:59:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 6:46 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 07, 2010 at 02:40:43PM -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
>> As promised, I am sending an email with a couple requests for
>> information regarding both venue and operational information and
>> corporate sponsorships for FUDCon Tempe 2011
>>
>> I've created both the prospectus[0] and sponsorship[1] documents on
>> the wiki and provided links below.  In addition, I've written a short
>> description of the goals of both of these documents on the logistics
>> page[2].  However, I'll include those descriptions here for clarity.
>>
>> Prospectus
>>
>> The goal of the prospectus document is to provide a sense of the
>> conference to potential sponsors and vendors who might be providing
>> services. This allows them to see if the conference is something that
>> fits in line with their normal vision of what they sponsor. This
>> document also provides information about the event, venue, number and
>> type of people who attend the conference.
>>
>> Sponsorship
>>
>> The goal of the sponsorship document is to provide a basic set of
>> sponsorships available at FUDCon Tempe 2011. However, these are just
>> guidelines and if a sponsor wishes to provide services not listed,
>> other sponsorships can and should be accommodated. The representative
>> should use their best judgment to cover the needs of the conference
>> first and the sponsors interest second.
>>
>> The focus of these documents is *not* to provide granular detail, but
>> rather to help the potential sponsor(s) with making decisions.  We
>> want them to sponsor our conference, not read a dissertation on why
>> FUDCon is awesome.  I've done a bit of that here, but am hoping we can
>> have a more focused statements as I've written in the documents below.
>>
>> I'd like to get the documents complete before our next meeting so if
>> you could make edits or comment to this thread, it would be much
>> appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Clint
>>
>> 0 - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Tempe_2011_prospectus
>> 1 - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Tempe_2011_sponsorships
>> 2 - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Tempe_2011_logistics
>
> Thanks Clint -- Sorry this reply is late, I got quite behind due to
> OLF.  Some points:
>
> * There's a section on "Focus" for the event.  This isn't something
>  I've seen at most FUDCons, simply because different groups attending
>  have different focus areas.  People gathering for infrastructure
>  work focus on that area; Ambassadors focus on how to more
>  efficiently move swag, promote at events, and so forth.  Is it OK to
>  remove this?

Focus is one way that sponsors know what we do a FUDCon.  It's more
about generalization than what you are asking.  In my opinion, it can
be removed for now, but it is used to portray to the sponsors the
value that we provide by creating and distributing Fedora, helping the
community, providing and organizing swag etc.  If I were to write the
Focus, it'd be something like 'FUDCon allows the Fedora community to
join together to build the best of breed Linux distribution through
development, community and many other projects'.

> * I think it makes sense to combine the prospectus and sponsorships
>  documents -- they're both pretty short and making people backtrack
>  to get details seems unnecessary.

The prospectus and sponsorship documents, while similar, are intended
to be separate.  Call it a sales technique if you like, but telling
people the focus of what we're doing and getting them sold using the
prospectus can be useful.  However, I can see the same functionality
by putting the pricing below the prospectus details.

> * Is the A/V sponsorship something you already have details on, or is
>  that just an example row?

AFAIK, there is not an A/V sponsorship, but I don't see why it
couldn't happen.  My opinion is that every conference everywhere
should be recorded and video would be nice.  This sponsorship, while
it might be a good example, provides some easy resources for us to
have the presentations recorded and streamed.  I put the cost at
$2,500 but the real cost is whatever it takes to have people come and
record each presentation.  Hackfests could be recorded and with some
fun editing, distilled down to what happened, but there may be no real
value in recording these.

> * Has the sponsorship email alias already been created, or does
>  someone need to do that?

Needs to be created.  I just put that there as a suggested email address.

> --
> Paul W. Frields                                http://paul.frields.org/

Paul,

See my comments inline.  My opinions above are from experience running
a user conference and my knowledge of FUDCon and how it fits with
sponsorships.  I like where this discussion is going and definitely
think we could have a good document pretty quickly.

Cheers,

Clint