FUDCon NA Draft Incoming: Olin 2012

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Sun Feb 27 21:28:43 UTC 2011

More updates coming in here! I'm really happy with how this is moving
forward. Negotiations with Olin continue. Comments inline.

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 1:35 AM, Mel Chua <mel at redhat.com> wrote:
> As an alumni of Olin, I just want to chime in a few things:
>
> * Breaking the internet is next to impossible; 200 FUDCon attendees will
> almost certainly not put as heavy a load on the network as 300 Olin students
> (all engineers armed with laptops incessantly streaming data).

This has been confirmed through conversations with Olin's administration and IT.

[...]

> * The proposed hotel is beautiful, has conference rooms that would serve
> nicely as hack suites, and could potentially be turned into a cost-effective
> FUDPub venue - and has what appears to me to be astonishingly good internet
> (they're several miles from MIT directly off a major highway, so I guess
> there must be some giant line running below them, and routers every 10 yards
> down each hallway on each floor). Free internet to all guests, blazing fast.

Returning from recent negotiations with them, I'm really pleased so
far. The rates they are offering are awesome for what they offer ($99
& $119) and we might be able to get meeting space for a small fee.
Watch this space.

On another note: When will the bid process open or how do we proceed
here? We'll keep on poking things on this end.

-s