Where we'll be on Saturday

Robyn Bergeron rbergero at redhat.com
Wed Jan 5 17:38:27 UTC 2011

On 01/05/2011 09:53 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 09:09:00AM -0700, Clint Savage wrote:
>>> Things will also get easier if people arrive on time for the session,
>>> which was a problem in Toronto.  In part that was because people
>>> weren't familiar with the travel time from the hotel to the venue, and
>>> it was a pretty substantial amount of time.  The planners have tried
>>> to improve that situation as well, in three ways: (1) providing a
>>> welcome packet at hotel check-in with more thorough information and
>>> expectations; (2) ensuring the travel time is fairly short, and
>>> doesn't rely on buses (short, ~10 min walk); (3) providing breakfast
>>> at the venue, as an incentive.
>>>
>> One argument I can make here is that whether people show up on time or
>> not (unless it is the majority as it was in Toronto) the event should
>> start on time.  It's hard for me to believe that with 2 extra hours
>> (for most East coasters) of sleep and that transit time is only 5-10
>> minutes of walking at most, this will actually be an issue.
> Heh, fair enough.  I'm an early riser myself -- by obligation, not
> choice -- but I agree a 9:00am start time shouldn't be a problem.
>
>> I love the welcome packet idea and think it will definitely help.
>> Keeping things on-time may mean that a few people miss the beginning
>> or end, so it might be advantageous to have a true 'Welcome to FUDCon'
>> presentation at 9am, then get right into the session pitches.
>> Something where someone gets up and does a nice talk about how FUDCon
>> works, with bits of humor and other goodies.  It goes over really well
>> at Ignite[1] events to help the flow of the rest of the conference.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Clint
>>
>> 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srk_buMw4ck&feature=channel_page
> Nice idea!  I wonder if we'd like to have a non-FPL community person
> do this, to emphasize the collaborative nature of the event?
I will totally volunteer for that. ;) Though I haven't actually been to
a FUDCon, so me talking about how fudcon works might be slightly
disastrous ;)

A question in line with these logistics: We are planning on having
breakfast available on Saturday and Sunday. What time do we want to do
that? And where will we be doing those things? If we're kicking off at
9:00am, do we want to have breakfast available starting around 8:30 or
so so that people can grab their grub and then sit down to get started?