Name badges

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 22:23:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 05:03:54PM -0500, Chris Tyler wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 16:48 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > https://fedorahosted.org/design-team/ticket/174
> >
> > Nushio had a great idea on this ticket, which is to place a scannable
> > QR Code in our FUDCon name badges.
>
> Should this be a vcard QR code, or a URL QR code pointing to
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Whosit ?
>
> Vcard pros and cons:
> + doesn't need net connection
> - limited info

> - requires net connection to be useful
>
> (Any privacy legistlation applicable here? I know there could be in
> Canada)

The QR Code was going to include a minimal vCard with information as I
outlined in that ticket: name, email (username at fp.o), and the URL
pointing to fp.o/wiki/User:username.

We can easily have a script check the privacy flag, and then only
provide the name shown on the badge if it's on.  But if the privacy
flag's not checked, the Fedora Privacy Policy allows disclosure of
publicly available information such as the above.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraProject:Privacy_policy#Sharing_Your_Personal_Information

> > ... Last year we used simple Avery perforated
> > blanks along with pin-style holders -- the ones that are made out of
> > flexible thin plastic that just folds over the top; the badge can go
> > in that way or through either side.
>
> Actually, we used those at the previous Boston FUDCon; they're 2x3.5"
> business card size. At Toronto we used the string-around-the-neck ones
> that are a big bigger (3x4") so names could be printed larger.

ACK, you're right!  It turns out that Robyn has the bigger
string-around-the-neck holders, a bit over 3x4" in size.  So we can
stick with the bigger print, and accommodate bigger print and a very
legible QR Code.  (Much appreciated for my old eyes, don't know about
anyone else.) :-)