FUDCon APAC now open for bids

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 18:46:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Jared K. Smith <jsmith at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> FUDCon (the Fedora Users and Developers Conference) is the premier
> Fedora event.  We typically have a FUDCon event in North America,
> Latin America, and Europe each year.  This year, I'm pleased to
> announce that we'll also be having a FUDCon event in the Asia-Pacific
> region.

I would like to formally propose a FUDCon in Pune, India in the month of
November 2011.  You can find all the details including the budget plan we
have put up at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:India_2011

We haven't secured the dates yet but that we are working on finalizing that
and the venue by the next week.

*Location* :   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pune

Why Pune?    We have considered Bangalore and Pune as two potential places
to host the conference.  Bangalore has the advantage of being a well known
IT place with easy international access however Pune is better for us in
terms of logistics and is more economical.   Red Hat has a strong team of
contributors to Fedora here in part because many people were recruited from
the Fedora community and flying them all over to another place for the
conference is going to set by the budget quite a bit.  In addition to that,
arranging for hotels etc is easier for us since we have local contacts in
place already.   Pune however has the disadvantage that anyone travelling
Internationally will likely have to land in Mumbai and travel by Taxi to
Pune which will take over 3 hours.   Pune has a airport as well and it would
take about an hour from the airport to the hotel or the venues we are
looking at.    For anyone landing in Mumbai,  taxi is probably a better
choice to come to Pune.   We are going to keep Bangalore as a fallback
option if things don't work out here unexpectedly.

Travel within Pune is convenient in either Taxi or Auto rickshaws.  For
anyone new to India,   Auto rickshaws or Autos are they are more commonly
known here  might be fun or terrifying depending on your perspective :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_rickshaw

*Budget* : Our budget estimates are fairly rough at this point but it is
quite detailed and you can find out the details from

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:India_2011#Budget_Estimates

We will have wi-fi in the hotel and the few venues we are actively
considering.   I have organized several local Fedora events over a number of
years now and have attended a couple of FUDCons but this would be the first
time I would organizing one myself.  We have a fairly large community here
along with local Red Hat resources to help.  Do let me know if you have any
questions.

Rahul