Funding Approval Meeting for FUDCon Kuala Lumpur 2012

Buddhike Kurera bckurera at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 22 18:30:00 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 11:40 PM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Buddhike Kurera
> <bckurera at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> IMO, this depends on the way the requests are evaluated.
>> Last time at FUDCon Pune, the requests were evaluated on first come
>> first served basis.
>> If the same will apply on the FUDCon KL, then there is no harm taking
>> requests before the
>> deadline.
>
> This practice has been very widely criticized as unfair and I hope you
> evaluate all the requests based on the criteria here
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Sponsoring_event_attendees
>
> which says nothing about extra points for being eager to request a
> subsidy. Some people try to arrange alternate funding or self-funding
> but can't and so reluctantly request a subsidy from Fedora near the
> deadline and they should not be disadvantaged for doing that (if
> anything they should be rewarded for doing that).
>
> Regardless of when a request is made though, it should be evaluated as
> described in the link above.
>
> Have you given thought to who will be the group of contributors who
> will make these decisions? Will it include people who have pending
> requests in the queue? Will it include anyone who notices the
> announcement and shows up to the meeting tomorrow?
>
>> IMO, deadline was set to make sure that no subsidy request will be
>> made/ entertained after the deadline.
>
> No, the point of a deadline is that your request will be considered if
> it is made by the deadline. Requests can't be fairly considered if you
> award 50% (or any other amount) of the funding at some arbitrary point
> before the deadline based on only a fraction of the total requests.
>
>> But there is no note on the evaluation of requests or how it is
>> carried out. As inode0
>> noted may be announcement of the subsidy meeting before one day may create some
>> problems with the reporters to prepare. (As far as I can remember,
>> this was discussed at the last
>> planning meeting, so I think there is a slight awareness about this
>> before hand,) Other than that I
>> see no harm evaluating requests before the deadline. Major thing is it
>> saves some $$$.
>>
>> Thanks inode0 for noting this, the organizing team will take required
>> action on this.
>
> Prices do fluctuate and there isn't any guarantee doing it now will
> save money (although I agree it likely will but at a cost). But you
> could have made that argument last week or the week before as well.
> Why do four more days make such a difference now all of a sudden? The
> harm is following a process where the rules keep changing in ways that
> can easily seem unfair and biased to the community. It is more
> important than $$$ to me that the entire APAC community is confident
> that this process is fair to everyone.
>
> I won't keep harping on this since I guess the decision has been made
> at this point to start awarding subsidies before the submission
> [...]

Hello

I am not speaking on behalf the organizing team.
However I am not aware on how the evaluation will be carried out.
inode0 has raised an important issue as I see, if the requests are not
evaluated as first come, first serve (FC, FS) basis.

I understood that the evaluation should be carried out as per the guideline[1]
and I agree with that rather than entertaining the request on FC, FS basis.

Thanks inode0 again for raising this.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Sponsoring_event_attendees#Criteria
--
Regards,