[Ambassadors] APAC Ambassadors extra meeting minutes 2014-12-13

Amit Shah amitshah at gmx.net
Sat Dec 13 12:33:42 UTC 2014

On (Sat) 13 Dec 2014 [16:34:38], Truong Anh. Tuan wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> This has been set to be followed up in FUDCon Planning mailing list so
> I put it here. Please kindly check my inline comments below.

As noted in the bid page at

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Bid_for_Pune_2015#Schedule_and_Budget

$16,000 is earmarked just for travel + accomodation.  The remaining
funds will be used for swag, food and FUDPub.

Red Hat India have agreed to sponsor a majority chunk of the extra
amount, and we have interest expressed from others as well.

> > India has hosted two FUDCons earlier, one in 2006 and another in 2011
> > (siddhesh, 04:31:48)
> > of the 4 FUDCons organized in APAC, 2 were in India (siddhesh, 04:34:37)
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon 2005-2014 4 fudcons organized 2
> > were in India (Delhi, Pune) (pravins, 04:37:05)
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Bid_for_PhnomPenh_2015
> > (somvannda, 04:39:22)
>
> Yes, one of the most advantages to organize FUDCon in India is there are
> many existing Fedora contributors here and we can save a lot of money to
> sponsor others to travel to.
>
> > discussing the PP bid:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FUDCon:Bid_for_PhnomPenh_2015
> > (siddhesh, 04:40:20)
> >
> > flight costs to PP from south-east asia is cheaper than to India
> > (siddhesh, 04:53:22)
>
> It is not cheap because we have to reserve more fund for more APAC
> contributors there or it should be called "FUCon" (without or less
> *D*evelopers).

Yes, I felt the PP numbers were a bit off.  Our calculations including
flying 15 people within India, 10 within APAC and 2 from elsewhere.

> > FUDCon will be hosted as a sub-event in Barcamp PP with a room
> > dedicated for FUDCon (siddhesh, 04:55:06)
> > PP does not have a lot of contributors, so most will have to be flown
> > in (siddhesh, 05:00:08)
> > PP has never had a FUDCon and would benefit from having a large event
> > to promote Fedora (siddhesh, 05:00:26)
> > IDEA: We should start doing smaller targeted events in Cambodia to get
> > more contributors first and then go for bigger events. (kushal,
> > 05:10:22)
>
> +1 to kushal.
>
> In the other hand, we also could not organize all upcoming FUDCons in
> India, right?

Right.

That was one of the things I mentioned during the chat: we are bidding
after 2011.  It would be unfair for us to bid every year, or very
frequently.  However, India bidding should also not be held as a
negative, because we do have an active community here, and we would
like to reap the benefits of hosting a FUDCon as well.

> > Minutes:
> > http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2014-12-13/fedora-meeting.2014-12-13-04.03.html
> > Minutes (text):
> > http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2014-12-13/fedora-meeting.2014-12-13-04.03.txt
> > Log:
> > http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting/2014-12-13/fedora-meeting.2014-12-13-04.03.log.html
> > Please remember to CC: meetingminutes at lists.fedoraproject.org on your
> > summary/minutes email.
>
> There are a lot of interesting information discussed in the meeting.
> Can anyone put them into the bids?
>
> Also, please keep this going then we can make decision in the next
> Saturday meeting.

Thanks,

		Amit
--