Building a database of free gamecontent?

Wart wart at kobold.org
Wed Aug 16 15:38:15 UTC 2006

Wart wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:
>
>> So is a free (game) content database a good idea? And if it is then does
>> anyone know some existing (preferably web-based) software to maintain
>> it? And if there is such software is anyone willing to build a website
>> with it for a free content project?
>>
>> I wouldn't mind filling the database (a bit) but I'm not an
>> infrastructure type of person.
>
> It looks like these guys had the same idea:
>
> http://freegamearts.myexp.de/
>
> And another collection of sites, some unreachable:
>
> http://debianlinux.net/multimedia.html#game_data
>
> It would be better to start by trying to contribute to these groups
> before starting something new.

I realized after posting this that I may have sounded a bit dismissive.
   I didn't mean to be.  I agree that a free game content database is a
good idea, and apparently so have others.  On #fedora-games Rahul posted
a link to Debian's game resources page:

http://debianlinux.net/games.html

This contains not only a list of games available from Debian, but other
game-related resources, such as the free content archives above.

I'll add this link to our SIG wiki page, as I think it contains a lot of
good pointers to games and related tools that people can consider packaging.

--Wart