Building a database of free gamecontent?

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Aug 18 04:52:35 UTC 2006

Michael Thomas wrote:
> Hans de Goede wrote:

> [...]
>> Don't worry I didn't take you mail in any neagtive way. Still all these
>> links site are ok (and maybe we should start with expanding one as a
>> first step) but what I really hand in mind is a site where a game
>> developer can click on textures -> wall textures and then get
>> (thumbnails of) all free wall textures known, so that he can see in one
>> page all known available wall textures instead of having to click
>> through many sites. Each texture would then ofcourse be accompanied with
>> a License tag on this very same page.
>
> It seems to me that this is what freegamearts is trying to do, as
> they've already categorized the contributions by music, textures, and
> models.  But they could really use some better organization to make
> things easier to browse for game developers.  The jpeg galleries for
> textures are a good start, but more meta-information about each texture
> would be useful so that someone could search for, say, wall textures or
> water textures, the license and author contact info, and what games make
> use of the media.

Yes freearts seems promising, but the jpeg galeries you talk about are
provided by the linked to sited, not by freearts itself.

Still I think it would be a good idea to join with freearts in this
effort I'll start by sending them some links, and discuss the idea of
becoming more then a links site with them.

Regards,

Hans