Games submenus

Michael Thomas wart at kobold.org
Wed May 17 23:21:48 UTC 2006

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> MT> If I'm not mistaken, I believe the menus are built from the
> MT> Category settings in the .desktop files.  I wonder if there's a
> MT> way to get submenus created for the various categories of games:
> MT> ArcadeGame, StrategyGame, PuzzleGame, 3DGame, etc.
>
> My current (kde) desktop has "Arcade", "Board Games" and "Card
> Games".  A random example, "Nibbles" is a board game;
> /usr/share/applications/gnome-gnibbles.desktop contains:
>
> Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;ArcadeGame;X-Red-Hat-Base;
>
> and the icon lives in the "Arcade" submenu.  So I think this is
> already set up.  In fact, looking through all .desktop files gives:
>
> hippogriff:/usr/share/applications> grep -i Categories *|grep -i game
> gnome-blackjack.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;CardGame;X-Red-Hat-Base;
> gnome-freecell.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;CardGame;X-Red-Hat-Base;
> gnome-gataxx.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;BoardGame;X-Red-Hat-Base;
> gnome-glines.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;LogicGame;X-Red-Hat-Base;
> gnome-gnect.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;LogicGame;X-Red-Hat-Base;
> gnome-gnibbles.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;ArcadeGame;X-Red-Hat-Base;
> gnome-gnobots2.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;ArcadeGame;X-Red-Hat-Base;
> gnome-gnomine.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;LogicGame;X-Red-Hat-Base;
> gnome-gnotravex.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;LogicGame;X-Red-Hat-Base;
> gnome-gnotski.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;LogicGame;X-Red-Hat-Base;
> gnome-gtali.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;X-Red-Hat-Base;
> gnome-iagno.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;X-Red-Hat-Base;
> gnome-mahjongg.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;BoardGame;X-Red-Hat-Base;
> gnome-same-gnome.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;LogicGame;X-Red-Hat-Base;
> gnome-sol.desktop:Categories=GNOME;GTK;Game;CardGame;X-Red-Hat-Base;
>
> So it looks like these categories have already been decided upon but
> things haven't been completely implemented in the desktop
> environments.  (For example, KDE doesn't have a submenu for
> "LogicGame".)

The accepted list of categories can be found at
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html, as Hans
previously pointed out.  And as you found, many games already include
some of these subcategories.  Unfortunately, Gnome doesn't seem to use
the subcategories for Games to create submenus in the panel.

Is there a gnome desktop hacker on the list who can figure out what
needs to be done to generate these submenus?

--Mike